Recipe #1: Ginger Snap Cookies
Yield: Approximately three dozen
For The Dough
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or 300g – a more accurate way to measure flour if you have a scale)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar – packed
- 3/4 cup butter – softened
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (granulated or sanding)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
For The Batter
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- Sift into a large bowl: the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and cloves. Give them a good whisk to be sure the spices are well-distributed. Set aside.
- Cream the butter, sugar and molasses in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or use an electric hand mixer. Beat until light and fluffy – about 7 minutes on medium-high speed. This step ensures a great texture.
- While mixing on low, add the egg first, then add the vanilla. Scrape the bowl down and mix again at medium speed until the ingredients are entirely distributed. This, too, adds more volume, which helps the texture of the cookies.
- Add the flour mixture. Mix on low to medium-low until just combined. Scrape bowl down one last time and use a spatula to fold in any remaining flour. Don’t overmix here; just gently incorporate the dry ingredients. Mixing for a longer time at a higher speed will cause you’re your Ginger Snaps to come out tough.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon and spread it out on a plate.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon and portion out 1-1/2 to 2-inch balls. Roll each into a ball in clean palms, then roll them in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Place the balls on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet about 2-inches apart. Bake at 350F for 12 to 13-minutes. You want the cookies’ edges to be set but the centers to be slightly underdone because they will continue to bake after being removed from the oven.
- Let your delicious Ginger Snap Cookies set for 3 to 4-minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Warning! Once you start eating these…you may never stop
I hope you enjoy these delicious recipes as much as we do.
Please come visit us this holiday season. I promise you a stay you will always remember. You can book your stay online by clicking here. Or, if you have questions, need suggestions, or just want to book your reservation with me directly, free to call 859-689-5096.
If you enjoyed this newsletter, forward it to a friend!